Yeah, it’s been a while. Things have been up and down over at Bertolini HQ.
However, some good news: I’ve done some writing finally!
I was approached by Andrew DelQuadro, publisher of 215 Ink, and Jeff McComsey, architect of the FUBAR books, to write a short story for a Free Comic Book Day release! I’m not going to give much away, but it was a big deal for me to have something with my name on it out for FCBD. That’s great exposure, right there. And it was an “Apes With Uzis” piece (the concept created by Rolf that I may have mentioned before), and I knocked that sucker out over a weekend. Twelve pages. It felt good to get that story written, and I can’t wait to see the artwork as it comes to life.
Also, I’m VERY nearly done with an 8-page short for an upcoming ComixTribe release that is now overdue, but due to some, ah, let’s call it “setbacks” over the past couple weeks, it took me some time to get moving on it. But I’m happy with how it’s progressing, and hope to finish it later today.
Still off work, but that’s going according to plan. As previously mentioned, I’m covered until the beginning of May. The plan is to stay off work until after March Break, so that I can spend that week with my boys, and then hopefully return to work around the first of April. Again, that’s the plan, so lets see how successful it is.
Comic books are a “hurry up and wait” kind of game. I have so many things that are in progress right now, waiting on one piece or another, that it’s almost like nothing is happening, but that’s far from the truth. Here’s what’s coming up:
1) Almost finished getting the colors for the last issue of Long Gone. Then issues 3 and 4 will need letters, and that series is finally done.
2) Had the rights to Ghost Lines released back to me, and approached 215 Ink about publishing it. Things are moving in the right direction there, and I couldn’t be happier. This is a fully completed 4-issue miniseries that’s been gathering dust, and I can’t wait to see something new happen with it.
3) Submitted the first issue of Broken to 215 Ink. Again, sounds like it’s a go, just waiting on their publishing schedule for the rest of the year.
4) Old Ghost’s submission package is 99% complete. The 8 pages are illustrated, colored, and lettered. Rolf’s going to put a cover together for us, but being the busy man he is (blood sacrifices to the ancient alien sex gods take time, from what I understand), that’s still a couple weeks off.
5) Antihero also just needs a cover, David’s been working on it, and then THAT book will be ready to submit around.
6) We’ve got 20 pages of Scum of the Earth completed. It’s fucking gorgeous. Rob has submitted it to a few contacts he has, and we’re very hopeful something big can happen with it.
These things take time. Luckily, right now, time is something I have a lot of. Until next time (and I’ll try to make it less than 3 weeks), do yourself a favor and listen to “Perth” by Bon Iver. It’s about as perfect a song as you could ask for.