- The majority of comic books coming out from Marvel and DC aren’t interesting to me. At all. DC especially, there’s maybe 1 or 2 books that have any appeal to me (one being Scott Snyder’s Batman, the other being Stormwatch – and THAT’s only because of the Authority connection, and the news that Jim Starlin will be writing that book soon.) What makes no sense to me is the whole idea of the DC 52 – why does that company INSIST on having 52 different titles out at a time? Clearly a lot of them are pretty bad, since they keep cancelling them. So why continue to force yourself to operate that way? Why not have, you know, maybe 30 really good titles? DC Comics: Throwing Shit at the Wall to See What Sticks.
- Marvel had more books that appeal: Daredevil (although I just read something saying that DD was getting relaunched with a new number 1? What the fuck? How many times can you relaunch the same title? Don’t answer that. Marvel does seem to take more chances than DC, though. And they don’t seem to hold themselves to some imagined structure for an idea someone had a couple years ago.
- Valiant’s new lineup of books is interesting. I like the talent they’ve attached. I was a semi-fan of Valiant during the 90s, they had some pretty cool ideas (H.A.R.D. Corps was my favorite).
- Image continues to release awesome comics.
- Comixology’s “Submit” creator-owned comic thing could just possibly be a game-changer. I think a lot of creators will jump at it. I might. I have a book that might work there. I prefer releasing my comics through publishers, but that’s just me, and that might just be because I’ve had some success with publishers. If I had never had a book come out through a publisher, I might be all up in Submit’s business.
- Iron Man 3 looks awesome…but I have no idea what the story is about, it’s impossible to tell from the trailers.
- I have an addiction to cop to: buying reading material, be it comics or books. I catalogued all my trade paperbacks/graphic novels/hardcovers a week ago and I’m sitting at over 1100. I would guess that the count on the novels I own is probably in the 200 range. Definitely more comics than books.
- I also quit smoking. Today marks day 13 of being a non-smoker. I really want to smoke, it’s something I did for a long time and I’m having a tough time getting out of the habit of smoking. I don’t miss the smell or being short of breath or any of the other stuff that went with it, I just miss the habit of it, if that makes any sense. I actually feel really good these days. I smoked for fifteen years, some of those years pretty heavily, so this is a very different feeling for me.
- I haven’t seen any of the new season of The Walking Dead…and I don’t feel bad about it. I’m happier than a pig in shit that the WD got picked up as a TV show, it’s hopefully bringing new readers into comic stores and getting new readers into comic books, but I have almost zero interest in either the show or the comic.
- I have an urge to re-read Alan Moore’s “Top 10” series. I think, for my money, it’s the best thing Moore ever wrote and I really want to pour over it again.
- Last but not least thought for the day: go and check out the first 3 issues of Breakneck for less than $3: http://digital.comicsplusapp.com/series_comic_details.php?product_id=com.iversecomics.215.ink.breakneck.vol.one.02202013
Do yourself a favor and listen to the self-titled album by the Lumineers. I got it for Julia for her birthday. This is just an excuse to talk about Julia.
Have a good one.