2013 was a great year for my comics career. Let’s run down what happened to make it so:
- At the very end of 2012, I signed a contract to have AAM Markosia publish my 6-issue series Knowledge. Artist Jerome Eyquem is hard at work on issue 5 right now. Issue 1 hit Comixology last month: http://www.comixology.com/Knowledge/comics-series/12527
- My OGN Ghost Lines with Carl Yonder finally hit Comixology this year, thanks to 215 Ink. My first ever completed series, it still remains a high watermark for me. It’s available here: http://www.comixology.com/Ghost-Lines/comics-series/11361
- In April 2013, I signed a deal with 215 Ink to publish my 4-issue mini-series Old Ghost, with artist Olov Redmalm. Olov’s finished the first issue, and printed up a run that looks amazing. Soon to be listed as part of the 215 Ink stable.
- In January, I submitted the first part of Scum of the Earth to Action Lab Comics’ Danger Zone imprint. Rob Croonenborghs and I officially signed the publishing deal for 6 issues at the end of April as part of Action Lab’s “digital first” lineup of books.
- I attended my first-ever US convention in September, sitting at the 215 Ink table at Baltimore Comicon, where I officially met a number of comic book creating friends. It was a great weekend and Julia and I can’t wait to go back next year.
- I had a story published in FUBAR: American History Z called “The Legend of Mose the Fireboy” with artist Eric Spohn.
- I worked on a lot of projects this year that I’m excited about. Hell to Pay with Orlando Baez and Aaron Viel. El Diablo Rojo with Valentin Ramon and Nic J. Shaw. Instinct with Sami Kivelä and Hugo Simoes. NRV with Craig DeBoard. Apes With Uzis: Arc & Chain, Thugs Electro with Kevin Enhart and Rolf Lejdegård. Broken issue 2 with Jim Giar and Tim Switalski. Capacity with Jason Jarava. The Cardinal with Michael Tyler. Diver Down with Carl Yonder and Michael Bielaski. Dog Catcher with Matt Mossman. Earth Shaker with Lord Akira. Fear and Pain with Kevin Enhart. Fisticuffs with Adam Šabić. Funhouse with Conan Momchilov. Jury-Rig with Cem Iroz. Pieces of Hate with Valentin Ramon. Deep Rest with Angel Tovar. The Devil’s Hitman with Matt Battaglia. Breakneck #6 with Kevin Enhart. Demoniac with Jason Jarava. Transient with Orlando Baez and Brad Linder. Old Friends with Michael Tyler. Forest with Michael Tyler and Glenn Fleming. FUBAR: The Leper King with Chris McFann. Apes With Uzis: The History Lesson with Kurt Belcher. Jim with Ken Perry and Levi Walton.
I think that’s the full list of stuff. I might be missing something, I don’t know. I have a massive spreadsheet that keeps all these projects in line for me.
In case I don’t have a chance for another blog update this year, I just want to say that I love making comic books. I will do it for the rest of my life. I’m grateful for my collaborators and partners and to the publishers who take chances on releasing my work. I’m thankful every day for Julia and her love and support of this dream I have that I know she doesn’t fully understand but knows it makes me happy. I’m happy that my boys, all of them, will grow up with a nerdy part in them.
I’m grateful to be part of the small press comics community, to see my friends and peers creating worlds every day. The inspiration you guys give me is limitless. I love all the comics you guys and girls make, and i can’t wait for more.
And I’m thankful for you, the people who spend a few minutes to read my ramblings here, and the people who take time out of their day and money out of their pocket to read the comics I create. I hope you enjoy reading them as much as I enjoy creating them.
2014…I’m calling it now: 2014 will be the year of Bertolini. Just wait and see.